Monday, September 27, 2010

New Friends


My first motorcycle was a 1970 Honda CL 70. With a single cylinder about the size of my fist it wasn't much - most self-propelled lawnmowers today have more horsepower! But it had two wheels, it was mine, and with it came freedom. It was a new friend that allowed me to expand my horizons and make many more new friends.


Over the years I have made many new friends; some were of the mechanical kind and had names like Honda, Kawasaki, and Harley-Davidson, while others were of the human species with names like Kelly, Dale, and Belinda. Some machines had single cylinders, V-twins, or in-line four's, but each delivered on the promise of getting me from one place to another. Some people were heterosexual, others homosexual; some Caucasian, others people of color, but each delivered on the promise of human relationship, of kindness and grace.


So both had something very important in common - they opened my eyes in new and exciting ways. Each provided me with new experiences and understanding.


I have never understood motorcyclists who disdained rides other than their own brand. You can be loyal to a brand (I am a primarily a Kawi guy myself) and still appreciate what other bikes bring to the scene. Each type of motorcycle has its own wonder and beauty. Who cannot love the rumble of American Iron, or the incredible dependability of the Japanese imports? Or marvel at the superb engineering of the Germans or curvacious sexiness of Italian makes? Each has something distinct and wonderful and can open us to a new and deeper level of understanding, just like a new friend. At every invitation I am offered I try out a new bike - make a new friend - and see/experience the world in a different way.


In just one week my wife and I load up the truck and leave Phoenix, Arizona for Bellevue, Washington. We leave a lot of good friends here ... just as we have in Glen Ellyn, Waterloo, Wichita and so many other places. And we will make a lot of new friends in Bellevue ... just as we did in Glen Ellyn, Waterloo, Wichita, and so many other places.


I have never understood human beings who disdain humans other than their own brand. You can be loyal to a brand (I happen to be an American Christian, myself) and still appreciate what other cultures and religious traditions bring to the table. I have been privleged to worship with Hindu's, Jews and Muslims and each has taught me something new and wonderful. I spent five years sitting Zazen with the Buddhists and treasure every moment of that experience and every lesson learned.


There is nothing like a new friend, regardless of brand. They open our eyes, they give us new insight, and they provide us with an expanded view of the world. I'm looking forward to my new friends in Bellevue, both human and mechanical!

1 comment:

  1. Bellevue is looking forward to your arrival Kevin! Have a safe journey!

    ReplyDelete