Wednesday, August 4, 2010

So Many Roads

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that I really liked: So Many Roads to Ease My Soul. All of us in life have more than a few instances of soul exhaustion due to our own decisions or circumstances beyond our control. And when I say soul exhaustion, I don't mean when we feel a little blue or even find ourselves in a psychologically depressed state, although they can be related. Soul Exhaustion is when you just don't see any options, when friends are absent and you feel completely invisible - when you are ready to say "Not even God likes me."

But then the fog clears bit and a road appears, almost as if by magic; a mystical path of possibility - not necessarily a final destination, but at least a direction. The road itself may be rough, full of potholes, just a rugged trail, but at least it's a road, and a road means someone else has traveled here before. And just knowing that someone has gone before us can make the road less lonely, more hopeful.

But like any journey, it is up to us to keep our eyes open for the road, or to at least listen to our friends who will point us in the direction of the road.


Certainly in my life I have experienced both soul exhaustion and roads that eased my soul. But the road was always made better with a companion, a friend who was just walked with me or family who refused to let me remain lost. And at times I have even been the one who walked the road with another, helping to provide some ease for their soul.

So Many Roads to Ease My Soul. Ain't it the truth ....

No comments:

Post a Comment