Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Weather or not ... to ride!

It is the time of year up here in the Great Northwest when the temperature rises (a bit) and the rain slackens (a bit).  Still not sunny and dry for more than a couple of days at a time, but at least less cold and less rainy than the winter months.  Therefore it is also the time of year when one sees many more motorcycles on the road, all shiney and clean and rarin' to go.  And thus it follows that it is the time of year when I scream out "Where have you all been for the past six months?"

Commuting daily on a motorcycle, regardless of temperature or moisture, allows me a certain self-righteousness.  There were only two days in the past twelve months when I begged my wife for her car rather than ride two wheels on icey roads; she graciously acceded after checking our financial situation and coming to the conclusion that I was still worth more alive than dead.  Heaven help me when the numbers suggest otherwise ... but I digress.

So whether the weather is good or bad, sunny or cloudy, cold or warm, I ride.  And hence my self-righteousness.  But I am quick to add that I understand why many folks choose not to ride in inclement weather as it can be quite uncomfortable without the proper gear and downright dangerous without the proper concentration.  We moved up here from Arizona and, needless to say, driving in the hilly, urban Northwest poses significant challenges not faced in the flat hinterlands of Rio Verde, AZ.  So, honestly, the first months of my daily commute were not without fear and trepidation.  I cursed the inclement weather, yelled at boneheads who cut in front of me, and often prayed that the light at the top of the hill up ahead would remain green, thus allowing me to avoid balancing a 750 pound machine at a peculiar cant.

Eighteen months later commuting is a great deal more fun.  I still yell at boneheads, but no longer curse the traffic signal engineers for failing to understand my needs or bemoan the fickle nature of the weather gods.  Rain or shine, warm weather or cold, I hit the road with a smile on my face.  It is amazing how an initial commitment, followed by determination and discipline over a long period of time, changes one's perspective ... which of course occurs after one's abilites have changed.  I now hit the road with an entirely different outlook, determined to enjoy the ride regardless of the weather.  And in some ways, the riding itself becomes better the more intense the weather!

Like last week, when I headed out to Pasco, WA for a conference.  I am still a newbie to the state of Washington, so I don't have a real handle on weather conditions relative to the time of the year; I still think like a mid-westerner, I guess, which means that to my way of thinking late April means warmish days and cool nights.

Wrong.  At just 3000 feet, tooling along through the Snoqualmie Pass, it was 36 degrees with thick snow laying on the ground on both sides of the road.  Dark and overcast, I was glad that I had risked being too warm rather than too cold and put on my medium weight gear and layered my clothing.  It was still quite chilly for 45 minutes though, and once over the pass I was delighted to see sunshine.  What I realized on the ride was that the previous  year-and-a-half of crummy weather riding provided me with far more skill and confidence, so I traveled with no fear, only concentration.  When I finally got to a bit of sunshine it dawned on me that while I was enjoyng the scenery far more, the ride was less intense.  Interesting ... the cold and crummy weather actually intensified the riding experience itself.  Remembering that cold can lead to poor decision making and knowing that trouble can occur very quickly on wet roads, I had given all my attention to riding.  No meandering thoughts, no contemplating higher meaning, just full throttle attention to the task at hand ... Mu-shin riding!

I can't say that I will now prefer cold riding to warm, but I will certainly have a new appreciation for what it can provide for me.  And I wonder how many other less than optimal circumstances actually provide me with an opportunity for increased awareness and consciousness?  Growth requires the dialectic of tension and release, of stress and relaxation, so while it is foolish to seek tension on purpose, it may likewise be foolish to seek to avoid it altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment