Friday, July 23, 2010

A Taxing Situation

I don’t mind paying taxes. I think there is a very important place for government and the taxes to finance government. I know being against “government” is all the rage and lots of folks, like the so-called “Tea Party” movement are very much against taxation and any form of government involvement. At least until they need help. Witness the BP oil disaster and the cries for “the government should do something”.

But I digress.

I don’t mind paying taxes because each and every time I ride the roads of America I am reminded of how much I get for my taxes, whether local, state, or federal. Yesterday I road through some of the most incredible scenery on the face of the planet, all through the courtesy of tax financed roads and highways. I marveled at the engineering that had to take place to blast pathways through canyons and construct bridges over rivers. I actually stopped at one point to examine the roadbed, trying to imagine the thought that went into grading and laying the road. I did some quick math to try to figure out how much it cost and could not come up with even a gross estimate. And my tax contribution to the total cost was miniscule but there I was enjoying the gift of that road.

The past couple of days I have ridden through about five national parks/forests, all financed with tax dollars. And I benefitted from the foresight of politicans and conservationists who made sure that land was avialable for everyone to see and not limited to a few privileged folks who have the personal resources to do whatever they want. All financed with tax dollars.

Often the people who holler most about taxes are those who benefit the most from the infrastructure which the taxes provide. A defense system which is often used less as a tool to protect Americans and more as a means to expand American capitalist interests and protect our materialistic way of life. Roadways, airports, ports - necessary to transport the goods from which people make so doggoned much money - all financed with tax dollars. And not current tax dollars, but past. The Federal Highway Act passed in 1956 and it was dollars from back then that financed much of the road system on which I am privileged to ride today.

Is there waste in government? No doubt … but how much of that waste can really be laid at the feet of private industry which takes advantage of government systems?

Are politicians fallible? Of course ... But thirty years in the ministry have taught me that EVERYONE is fallible. Welcome to the human race.

Millions of citizens before me have paid their taxes and I am the recipient of their contribution to the commonweal. So send me my tax bill and I am happy to pay, because I get a heck of lot for my money in this great land of freedom and I am determined that my children’s children shall enjoy the same benefits.

1 comment:

  1. I am loving your blog and share your sentiments about all those people we need to thank for our national parks & roads, a very simple pleasure and such a gift. Make sure you let us know where you are on the journey!

    ReplyDelete